This Southern specialty is best made with small oysters and plain saltines.
- 1⁄4 lb. saltines
- 5 tbsp. butter (4 tbsp. melted, 1 tbsp. chilled)
- 2 cups oysters, shucked, well-drained, and roughly chopped
- 3 tsp. butter
- 1 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a small baking dish, about 8″ × 8″. Crush saltines into small pieces with a rolling pin or the bottom of a pan, to fill about 2 cups. Spread one-third of the cracker crumbs in the bottom of the dish. Pour in half of the oysters and mix into crackers a bit with fingertips, then drizzle in 2 tbsp. of the melted butter. Repeat this process, ending with the last of the crackers.
- Slowly pour cream along edges of the dish; dot with the chilled butter.
- Bake 25–30 minutes, and brown under broiler for 3 minutes.